Skip to main content

The drug football

Having lived in Germany since 1988, I haven't seen too many football games in past years. Americans may not believe this, but American football games are rarely shown on German TV. Oh, the Super Bowl is usually shown, but since it's usually on at 2 in the morning I haven't bothered watching very often. It's not much fun watching a game alone at 2 AM. Anyone who thinks my dear wife would stay up and watch the Super Bowl with me, raise your hand! You back there? Wrong! Go to the back of the class.

Well, a few weeks ago I ordered digital cable and it was activated just in time for the Seattle Seahawks first-round playoff game against the Washington Redskins. I didn't know when I ordered digital cable, but Kabel Deutschland includes NASN, North American Sports Network. And they show all the important games.

My wife is sure I ordered digital cable just so I could watch football games, but I really didn't know it would work out that way. Really, I didn't.

So I recorded the Seahawks-Redskins game, since even for this I didn't want to watch the game alone that late. OK, it started at 10:30 PM, but it could easily have gone till 3 AM, and I don't usually stay up that late.

Sunday morning I turned on the HD recorder and TV, and starting watching the game (audio on headphones - dear wife was still asleep). I was amazed how quickly and thoroughly the game sucked me in. I had to exert utmost control to avoid cursing, yelling and cheering. A few weird noises must have escaped, because dear wife woke up and came into the living room asking if I'd gone crazy. Nope. Just the drug football.

I repeated the exercise the next week for the second-round game, but as you know this one was a downer for Seahawks fans. After half-time I used the fast-forward and skip buttons liberally.

There's always next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VirtualBox and CentOS - a technical success story

Most of my readers are probably firmly in the Microsoft Windows world when it comes to using a computer. What is Microsoft (MS) Windows (in any one of its many incarnations, whose most common and recent members are Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7)? It's the operating system (OS) of the computer - for most people computers aren't very usable without an operating system. The operating system sits on top of the hardware and provides the complete logic for everything you see when running a computer - it connects to and registers various hardware devices while booting, like graphics card, sound card, mouse and monitor, and provides functions like user management, a graphical user interface (GUI), process management, and much more. The operating system does not include things like web browsers, mail programs or office suite programs (yes, there are alternatives to MS Office, see OpenOffice ). There are many other operating systems, some with restricted niche usage ( RISC ...

The president of Germany

On June 30th Germany elected a new federal president (Bundespräsident in German). The 10th federal president of Germany is now Christian Wulff, 51, until now the prime minister of Lower Saxony, a German state. Christian Wulff is a member of the CDU (Christlich Demokratische Union). The media outside Germany have scarcely been aware of this event, yet it was accompanied by a great deal of drama in Germany. What happened? What's the role of the German president? Is there any wider significance? What does the German Federal President do? The German Federal President (I'll refer to the office as Bundespräsident from here out for simplicity) has a largely ceremonial office. Like the Queen of England, the Bundespräsident is the offical head of state. Like the Queen of England, most of his activities (there has not yet been a female Bundespräsident, who according to the rules of German grammar would be the Bundespräsidentin) are ceremonial - greeting foreign heads of state, giving...