Skip to main content

2007 - a look back

Everybody is doing Christmas letters. Driven by guilt pangs, I've decided to join the crowd. Not having children, there are fewer events to list here - no PTA meetings, youth baseball games, or, as many of my former classmates report (are we that old?), graduations, weddings, or grandchildren. If this is boring - too bad. Stop reading now.

In January Anja & I celebrated our birthdays (inevitably, but as I always say, it beats the alternative). The winter of 2006-2007 saw very little snow, but we were able to spend the first week of February on our traditional winter vacation in Mittenwald, a beautiful town in the Bavarian Alps. Note: this photo is from 2005!
This year we had the pleasure of having our nephew Randolf Carr spend the week with us. Randolf proved an accomplished and daring skier, and we very much enjoyed his company during the week. Too bad he doesn't have any winter vacation this year! There was just enough snow to ski, but this year we'll be spending our winter vacation in the Alpbachtal in Tyrol, where the snow should be better. (As I write this there's lots of snow in the Austrian Alps)



Easter was spent as usual at Anja's mother in Offenbach, where the family gathered; if I recall correctly the weather was not bad for April.

In May Jentro landed a new investment of $29 million by NEA (New Enterprise Associates). We began to grow more rapidly; the development staff increased from 10 to 15, and a North American sales office was opened.

In early June we took advantage of a low-cost flight to Nice to spend 9 days on the French Riviera (or CĂ´te d'Azur, as the French call it). We stayed in the small city of Menton close to the Italian border.



Though the weather was borderline for early June (it rained almost every day), we had a delightful time, and plan to return sometime.

In June I was promoted to Director of Software Development at Jentro. So far I'm enjoying my new responsibilities. My work load has of course increased, and I have less time for music and sports. But having more responsibility is fulfilling, I enjoy the challenge of improving processes and creating an enjoyable work atmosphere.

June and July saw concert activity with the Munich Pianists' Club - Songs by Grieg, Copland and Barber with Anja, and sonatas with the violinist Anke Schwab (Franck and Bolcom). Back in the States my nephew Beau Garrison married his beautiful bride, Kim. Unfortunately we weren't able to attend. I remember when Beau was a little brat terrorizing us at Cama Beach (just kidding, Beau!)

The Munich summer was rain-rich; the first week of September we went to Lake Garda for a week in search of the sun. Staying yet again in the town of Malcesine,


we were only moderately successful in sun-finding - there was only one day where it was really warm enough to hang out at the lake all day. Still, the whole week we were in Italy the weather was cold and rainy in Munich.

On September 30th I ran in my first half-marathon, in a respectable time slightly under 1'55". The elation at this sporting achievement was quickly extinguished that evening by the death of my beloved father.


I flew home to be with my family; a moving remembrance gathering was held at my brother's house, where I saw many cousins I hadn't seen for twenty years or more. I miss Dad very much!

In late November came another concert with Anja and our good friend Susanne Absmaier from the Pianists' Club - Anja & I performed songs by Brahms (Zigeunerlieder) and Grieg, Susanne played the Beethoven Kreutzer Sonata with her sister Sabine Gödel, and Susanne and I played an arrangement of Mozart's G minor symphony for piano four hands. The concert was virtually sold out!

The year rushes to its end, Christmas is upon us. On the 25th we'll be heading to Berlin for a few days (as usual). And then 2008 will be here (together with my 50th birthday). Anja continues to be busy as a private voice teacher, in addition to teaching voice one day a week at the music school in Markt Essenbach, about 50 miles from Munich. She recently started a Nordic Walking course to get more exercise, which has been a lot of fun for her.

Merry Christmas to all, and may 2008 bring happiness and health!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you feeling? - national differences in the perception of personal health

" Wie geht es dir ?" "How are you feeling?" These questions are probably heard in every culture. The answers, and how mild illness is dealt with, varies between Germany and America. Mir geht es schlecht - I'm not feeling well. Really. Since Thursday I've been lying in bed with a low fever, racking cough, stuffed up nose and sneezing. A typical February complaint. What do I have? For an American, the answer is probably simple - either a cold or the flu, perhaps with a touch of bronchitis. For a German the answer is not quite so clear cut. The German is aware that real flu (influenza) is characterized by a sudden high fever, chills, and aches and pains - in addition to the typical upper respiratory symptoms. I don't think I have influenza - my fever, at around 100°, just isn't high enough. And I don't have any aches and pains. But a cold? Well, does a cold come with a fever? It might, I guess, in English. But the Germans have a special word fo
 Don't Be a Fafner Developer! I'm going to talk about a type of developer you should not want to be - a Fafner developer. What do I mean with this expression? First, I need to digress. Fafner is a character in Wagner's massive 4-opera "Ring of the Nibelungs" cycle. He and his brother build the gods' castle Valhalla. In payment they receive a vast treasure (the Rhinegold), which includes a magic helmet (the Tarnhelm) and a ring of power (the basic idea should be clear to you if you've ever read the Lord of the Rings). Fafner kills his brother, takes the treasure off to the woods, uses the Tarnhelm to turn himself into a dragon, and settles down on top of his hoard. Much time passes. Finally a hero emerges who is brave enough to take on Fafner (Siegfried). The evil dwarf Mime tries to warn Fafner of the approaching danger. Fafner's response? "Ich lieg und besitz…lass mich schlafen" (I lie here and possess…let me sleep). Of course we know what h

The Kindle - First Impressions

Two Weeks of Kindling I've now had my Kindle for nearly two weeks, and it's time to share some of my impressions with you. After unpacking it I immediately charged it up and synched it with my Amazon account. Actually it was already synched - Amazon preconfigures them. I connected it pretty easily to my home WiFi network (I have a prodigiously long, difficult password). I downloaded some new books and some old books. In a short period of time my Kindle was playing host to: Shakespeare's collected works Trollope's collected works Gulliver's Travels Pride and Prejudice Effective Java What Technology Wants ...and a few samples of other books. Thanks to Amazon's E-Ink technology the text is wonderfully easy to read, even in fairly dim light. This presbyopic reader is happy that the text size and spacing can be quickly changed, allowing me to adapt for reading with or without glasses. The Kindle always remembers the farthest point I've read to in e